The Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is seeking a creative, dynamic collaborator to join its energetic team as a Financial Resource Development (FRD) Director. This person will plan and implement all annual campaign and other fundraising and development efforts. This key position requires passion for our mission, enthusiasm, excellent fundraising and organizational abilities, creativity, good humor and a goal-focused outlook. The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal communication abilities and be able to successfully nurture mutually beneficial relationships.
Located in southeast Michigan, Ann Arbor is a vibrant and energetic college town famous for the University of Michigan, its beautiful parks and nature areas and cultural offerings. Ann Arbor boasts a lively downtown, low crime, a healthy economy, regular festivals, and strong schools and neighborhoods. As a result, it is consistently rated highly on lists of small cities and was named by niche.com as the 2017 best city to live in America. The greater Ann Arbor community encompasses Ypsilanti, the vibrant and diverse home of Eastern Michigan University, and several warm and welcoming small towns including Saline, Dexter and Chelsea.
The greater Ann Arbor Jewish community has a population of approximately 8,000 representing approximately 2,500 households. The community is strong and diverse with congregations representing a broad spectrum of Jewish communal life, a warm and educationally exceptional Jewish elementary school, a thriving Jewish Community Center, and a robust and compassionate Jewish Family Services.
The mission of the Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is to foster Jewish communal life through the spirit of tzedakah (righteousness) and tikkun olam (social justice). Our mandate is to initiate, coordinate and preserve activities which strengthen Jewish life locally, in Israel and throughout the world. The most recent annual campaign raised just over $1.3 million, and the community’s endowment stands at nearly $6.5 million.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the FRD Director is primarily responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive and strategic development plan designed to expand the annual campaign and overall communal philanthropic capacity of the Ann Arbor Jewish community. The successful candidate will develop, cultivate, and manage donors; design and implement creative and innovative fundraising strategies; supervise the day-to-day work of the associate campaign director; recruit, organize and train volunteer workers; assure adherence to Campaign time schedules; oversee budgets; create and maintain files of donors and prospects; meet with individuals, corporations, and organizations to solicit funds for the Federation, and develop detailed knowledge of the Jewish community and philanthropic trends. The FRD Director will oversee the integration of fundraising across all Federation programs and strategic goals and will take the lead in expanding endowment and legacy giving.
The successful candidate will be an innovative leader and a team player with a strong sense of purpose, initiative, commitment and personal responsibility. This position is a hands-on role which will require confidence, flexibility, good time management, confidentiality, and the ability to be persistent and strategic when often juggling multiple tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
In partnership with the Executive Director, Federation team, Campaign Chair, Campaign Cabinet and other volunteer committees:
- Develop and implement a strategic campaign plan which supports the mission of the organization and includes well-defined timetables for fundraising
- Oversee all campaign operations including recruiting, training, supporting, motivating and empowering campaign staff and volunteers; planning, organizing and implementing annual campaign events; coordinating on-line fundraising and direct mail efforts; managing the Campaign database and ensuring accurate reporting to track progress toward meeting campaign goals
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with key stakeholders and donors and implement strategies to increase their level of financial commitment
- Develop, cultivate & establish new donor relationships
- Resource and/or develop marketing tools and materials for a well-rounded campaign communications effort including social and print media
- Serve as financial development resource for all Federation programs and for the community’s Jewish agencies, organizations and congregations
- Develop corporate gift opportunities and sustain existing corporate gifts
- Oversee the Foundation including programming, liaising with partner organizations, and working with donors to secure planned gifts and endowments to ensure the long-term sustainability of the community
Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s preferred
- Minimum five years of fundraising, campaign planning, foundation and volunteer management related experience
- Demonstrated track record of major gift solicitation and new donor development
- Experience in strategic planning, crafting and implementing a successful development or business plan, database management and budgeting
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal, relationship-building and leadership skills with a proven ability interact effectively with a diverse body of lay leaders, donors, professional staff and other stakeholders
- Significant involvement in and knowledge of the Jewish community; passion for and broad understanding of Jewish, Israel, and Israel-related issues
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, creative thinker and team player with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks and meticulous attention to detail and follow-up
- Knowledge in the fundamentals of planned giving and endowment highly preferred
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Preferred and 6-9 years of experience.