DEPARTMENT: Jewish Education and Engagement
REPORTS TO: Associate Vice President, Jewish Education and Engagement, Jewish Education and Engagement
The Jewish Federations of North America (“JFNA”) represents 147 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise and distribute more than $3 billion annually for social welfare, social services and educational needs. The Federation movement, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, protects and enhances the well-being of Jews worldwide through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah (charity and social justice) and Torah (Jewish learning).
JFNA is looking for a Director of Federations Engagement Initiative to lead, design, and implement a Federation-based initiative to transform Jewish education and engagement across North America. The initiative will organize Federations to implement a complex, high-impact project able to change the lives and Jewish connections of younger Jewish families.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work with a range of stakeholders—a consulting partner, a lay chairperson and committee, Federation professionals, inside of JFNA—to gather and integrate ideas into a coherent strategy.
• Manage stakeholder process to develop decisions on a range of implementation issues, related to which Federations participate, what it means to participate, what it means to facilitate several rounds of the initiative, and so on.
• Design and implement a fall conference (possibly attached to a reenvision JFNA GA), which will feature a track for ~250 Federation leaders, allowing them to design the initiative and start the work.
• Design and implement an approach to raise funds, primarily from Foundations; manage an internal JFNA team and committee support in raising these funds.
• Build the system by which participating Federations will design their approach to the work.
• Communicate regularly, as a group and organically/ one-on-one, with participating Federations.
• Design and implement regular meeting opportunities for participating Federations that will ensure that their professional and lay leaders have the skills and knowledge needed to do their work.
• Build a system for sharing lessons learned with the larger Federation system.
• With a consulting partner, design and oversee implementation of a project evaluation; relate this system to Federations’ engagement outcomes, which should serve as the basis for tracking this work.
• Oversee and manage the project budget.
• Participate in JFNA’s larger education/ engagement team, collaborating in the design of JFNA’s larger strategy for education/ engagement and planning writ large.
• Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
• 10-15 years of senior level management or equivalent experience.
• Graduate work (at least MA or equivalent) in education, Jewish communal life, or a related field.
• Proven track record of focused, issues-oriented strategic leadership.
• Extensive experience as a project leader with complex and diverse stakeholders and moving pieces.
• An understanding of strengths and challenges in Jewish education and engagement today.
• Experience developing the trust of senior and experienced volunteers.
• Literacy in financial management and budget development.
• Creative, assertive, and vision-driven.
• Able to experiment; comfortable with risk and uncertainty.
• Flexible, able to gather iterative feedback to develop a collaborative strategy.
• Highly articulate, able to convey a vision orally and in writing.
• Strategic, able to develop an idea toward a given purpose.
• Competent in breaking down, supervising, and directly implementing project steps.
• A quick study and eager to dive fully into complex information to develop subject matter expertise.
• Able to travel within North America and overseas as required.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Required and 10+ years of experience.