The Jewish Federations of North America (“JFNA”) represents 146 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise more than $ 3 billion annually for social welfare, social services, and educational needs. The Federation movement, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, protects and enhances the well-being of Jews worldwide through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah, (charity and social justice), chesed (caring and compassion), and Torah (Jewish learning).
The Senior Director, Financial Relations reports to the Chief Financial Officer “CFO” of JFNA and United Israel Appeal (UIA). The position will have high visibility with JFNA’s senior management and its volunteer structure. The position will also have in-depth interactions with the Federations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Staffs the Financial Relations Committee.
- Works with Federations staff on their financial issues, including connecting Federations and promoting collaboration on purchasing various accounting systems, outsourcing opportunities, or combining back-office operations.
- Assists in ensuring Federations’ smooth transition to and understanding of JFNA’s dues structure.
- Monitors and works with Federations on hardship requests, nonpayment of dues, and/or overseas allocations.
- Monitors and works with Federations that are not meeting the overseas allocation requirement.
- Works closely with the CFO in developing cash forecasts for beneficiary agencies.
- Actively researches and learns about various programs run by beneficiary agencies, including how JFNA’s allocations are utilized and clearly articulating analyses to Federation professionals.
- Manages the overseas grants process to ensure it’s streamlined and compliant with IRS requirements.
- Supervises the functions responsible for conducting accurate recordings of commitments from communities, receipts, and distributions to agencies.
- NY C.P.A. license is required.
- 10+ years of nonprofit experience.
- Experience in dealing with overseas agencies a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively supervise staff.
- Highly organized.
Qualifications: 10+ years of experience.