The Jewish Federations of North America represents 146 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise and distribute more than $3 billion annually for social welfare, social services, and educational needs. The Jewish Federation system, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, builds and sustains flourishing Jewish communities in North America and protects and enhances the well-being of the State of Israel and the Jewish people worldwide.
The External Communications team at JFNA is responsible for setting and executing the organization’s communications strategy and messaging objectives. It creates content for assets such as JewishFederations.org and various social media platforms, as well as interfacing with the press. In addition, it serves as both a resource and sounding board to federation professionals across the country.
The Jewish Federations of North America seek a Press Specialist to work closely with the Managing Director of External Communications on implementing the organization's press strategy. The Press Specialist has an interest in politics and Jewish communal life, understands news cycles in both the U.S. and Israel, and has an eye for identifying compelling stories.
Please note that JFNA staff are working remotely for the foreseeable future; therefore, applicants do not need to live in the Washington, DC metro area to be considered for the position.
- Identifying and cultivating relationships with key media contacts
- Drafting press releases, talking points, and background information on a range of topics
- Monitor media coverage and prepare regular evaluation reports
- Fielding press inquiries on deadline
- Writing op-eds and articles for publication both within Federations and in press
- Developing story ideas and pitching them to reporters
- Collaborating on evaluating and updating messaging goals and strategy
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience working on public relations
- A working knowledge of Washington politics
- Familiarity with organized Jewish life
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- The ability to work well with teams
Please send a résumé, cover letter, and a writing sample to Niv.Elis@jewishfederations.org with the subject line “Press Specialist.”