Impact · Full-Time· Experienced · $80,000 - $102,000/year DOE
While Federation’s team is currently working remotely, candidates should be located in or willing to relocate to the Greater Washington (DC, MD, and Northern VA) region. Flexible work options available.
The Jewish Federation professional team is mission-driven and dedicated to helping every member of Greater Washington’s Jewish community connect with purpose, at a time when maintaining those connections is more important than ever before. The Impact department, and specifically, the strategic planning and allocations team, works to inspire, build, and sustain vibrant Jewish life in a changing world by mobilizing our community in common purpose, intentional innovation, and effective action. Focusing on the District of Columbia, Suburban Maryland, and Northern Virginia, we mobilize community builders and organizations to identify and develop solutions to our community’s greatest needs. We serve as a hub to generate the kind of innovation and big thinking needed to guide our community to a vibrant future.
The Director, Strategic Planning and Allocations is a key driver and champion of this work, responsible for collaborating with colleagues, volunteer leadership, and other community builders to create a robust culture of innovation, organizational resiliency, and deep impact within the organization and in the broader community. You will help design and implement new strategic investment processes and manage several directed grants processes, working with prospective and returning grantees, managing the process from applications through evaluations, and working with the team to gather, collate and share data.
You will manage a team of individuals responsible for the local and national allocations with a focus on building organizational relationships and establishing a communal plan for organizational resiliency. You will work in partnership with other members of the Impact department to think holistically about the entire allocations portfolio, including the Israel and Overseas Allocations, a real-time and responsive taskforce and scholarship distribution cycles, and emergency grants processes.
You will be an internal and external resource and area specialist who will convene and collaborate with Federation colleagues across the organization, as well as community leaders, congregations, agencies and schools, toward collective efforts to invest in and sustain a vibrant Jewish community.
At core, the Director, Strategic Planning and Allocations will be responsible for ensuring we are investing in our community in alignment with our strategic priorities and focus areas. This is an opportunity for the right candidate to lead a high impact, evolving function in a fast-paced, mission-driven and strategic organization.
Your Background, Qualifications, and Success Factors:
- 6+ years of success within planning and allocations and 3+ years of managerial experience
- Demonstrated experience articulating a vision, translating it into executable strategy and driving cross-functional teams to deliver to established priorities with measurable positive impact on outcomes
- Demonstrated experience facilitating organization-wide initiatives involving stakeholders at all levels (professional and volunteer) and across all functional areas of a matrixed and integrated organization
- Experience convening a broad range of external stakeholder to collectively build and implement new initiatives and bring them to scale
- Experience with data collection practices and a strong ability to translate data into actionable insights – including surveys, diagnostics, and needs assessments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, especially Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience maintaining a high level of confidentiality and discretion
Your Role and Responsibilities as Director, Strategic Planning and Allocations
- With the full support of the Federation Leadership Team, foster successful relationships with partner agencies, executives, lay leadership, and other community organizations to understand community growth opportunities
- Provide training, support and expertise to local partners to build organizational resiliency and strategic collaboration with the Federation
- Convene lay and professional leadership networks to develop, implement, and monitor strategies for strategy and planning across the Greater Washington DC Jewish community, working in partnership with community lay leaders and professionals, congregations, agencies and schools to advance thought leadership, share best practices to build organizational capacity, and create and implement innovative new opportunities for programmatic development
- Define, create, and launch allocation processes to distribute new investments, and community vibrancy funds across the community
You will work closely with:
- Executive Directors across the community
- Strategic Planning and Allocations Committee
- Subcommittees for Community Vibrancy, Human Services, Emergency Response
- Financial Resource Development and Marketing
- Donor Engagement Team
A People-Friendly Workplace:
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is an equal opportunity employer offering a people-friendly environment, including:
- excellent health care and retirement benefits
- generous time off
- flexible work options
- opportunities and an annual stipend for continued professional development
- access to the JPRO Network, which connects, educates, inspires, and empowers professionals working in the Jewish nonprofit sector
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington envisions an open, connected, and vibrant Jewish community that cares for each other, fosters Jewish learning and journeys, embraces Jewish peoplehood and Israel, and acts as a force for good in the world. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, we work to inspire, build, and sustain vibrant Jewish life in a changing world by mobilizing our community in common purpose, intentional innovation, and effective action. Learn more at shalomdc.org.