The strategic marketing director, a member of the organization’s executive leadership team, oversees Jewish Federation brand strategy, awareness & affinity in the Kansas City Jewish community and beyond (including the wider Kansas City nonprofit and civic community). This individual leads all messaging, branding and brand reinforcement, with particular emphasis on community impact and community initiatives/events, working collaboratively with other key Federation leaders and partner agencies. The strategic marketing director reports to the COO.
A major focus of telling the Federation story, engaging audiences and influencing behavior is robust digital communications, with an emphasis on content, technology and meeting audiences where they are: use of live and produced video, social media platforms, etc. This is especially important as we navigate a hybrid virtual/in-person future. We employ an integrated marketing communications strategy, running cross-platform campaigns toward fundraising outcomes and reporting of impact, for example.
We want to continually examine the tools we use to share our messages, and how those tools work together and further engage our audiences with our organization and its work.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Strategizes with Jewish Federation leadership, staff and volunteers around marketing, communications and public/community relations
- Develops annual strategic marketing plan to proactively lead Jewish Federation in alignment with organizational goals, including fundraising and leadership development goals
- Staffs (recruits for, actively engages & deepens relationship with) Marketing Committee—a volunteer committee that provides input/feedback, working assistance, and insight into best practices in various areas of marketing—in partnership with volunteer committee chair
- Develops—in collaboration with financial resource development team—integrated marketing plan for benefactor communication, fundraising and stewardship
- Ensures that corporate sponsors are properly recognized and stewarded in marketing
- Ensures strategic use and ongoing evolution of The Kansas City Jewish Chronicle, the Federation-owned Jewish community news vehicle
- Concepts, manages and implements Federation’s Annual Meeting, in partnership with volunteers
- Oversees event marketing and logistical support across departments, particularly with large, community-facing events
- Manages marketing department, including budget and staff; develops and maintains internal marketing calendar
- Manages media buying, media inquiries, public relations and all creative vendors
- Manages marketing projects from concept to completion with eyes on messaging, brand, budget and timeline
Required Skills, Abilities & Characteristics
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a leader and as part of a team
- Demonstrated knowledge of marketing strategies, vehicles and trends
- Strong community/customer service orientation
- Strong emotional intelligence, communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to adapt communication style to various audiences
- Demonstrated understanding of volunteer/professional dynamics
- Capacity to manage and organize information confidentially
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and meet all deadlines
- Proven track record of marketing leadership in a fundraising-oriented nonprofit organization or a for-profit environment (with 7-10 years or more experience)
- Bachelor's or master's degree in marketing, business, communication, public relations, journalism or equivalent relevant field
- Knowledge of the Jewish community, customs and traditions, including knowledge of Israel
- Understanding of, appreciation and passion for the mission of Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City
Please send an expression of interest, your personal story, your LinkedIn page or resume, and any particularly compelling/relevant work samples to Chief Operating Officer Derek Gale at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City
Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City is the heart of the Kansas City Jewish community. We build community by bringing people together, strengthening Jewish identity, developing leaders and inspiring generosity in order to fulfill our mission of sustaining and enhancing Jewish life at home and around the world. We ensure a healthy, vibrant Jewish community now and into the future.
Our organization raises more than $6 million from more than 1,600 donors. We provide program funding to 20 local agency partners and 20+ partners in Israel or overseas, as well as allocations to 8 national partner organizations.