The Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley is seeking a Director of Development to plan and implement all annual campaign and other fundraising efforts. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will develop and implement the annual campaign plan. The successful candidate will cultivate and manage donors; design and implement creative and innovative fundraising strategies; recruit, organize, train and supervise volunteers; assure adherence to campaign time schedules; oversee budgets; meet with individuals, corporations, and organizations to solicit funds for the Federation, and develop detailed knowledge of the Jewish community and philanthropic trends. The successful candidate will be an innovative leader and a team player with a strong sense of purpose, commitment, and personal responsibility to the Jewish Federation. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, visionary, dedicated to creating connections with current and future donors and volunteers, understanding of the realities of today’s fundraising climate and passionate about strengthening the Jewish community.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Design and execute a comprehensive integrated financial resource development business plan across all income streams, including unrestricted annual campaign, supplemental funds, special/emergency campaigns, planned giving and capital projects.
- Prepare annual campaign plan including goals, objectives, calendar, budget and process and modify plans as necessary throughout the campaign year.
- Oversee all campaign divisions including Women’s Philanthropy and Maimonides Society of health care professionals.
- Coordinate major gifts through prospect assignment, solicitation tracking, planning, events, missions and volunteer communications.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify, cultivate and successfully solicit new and existing donors.
- Recruit, select, train, support, motivate, and empower the Campaign Cabinet.
- Collaborate with other departments on the annual campaign process including marketing, outreach and planned giving.
- Coordinate campaign events such as kick offs, thank yous, major events, Women’s Philanthropy programs, Maimonides programs and an annual golf tournament.
- Solicit corporate sponsorships and seek out new sources of revenue.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve on senior management team
- Attend monthly board meetings and committee meetings as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required with preference given to professionals with advanced education in Jewish communal service, nonprofit management, philanthropy, or related areas.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with progressive responsibility in resource development roles, including at least 2 years in a management role.
- Demonstrated achievement in donor development and major gift solicitation; successful experience in volunteer recruitment, education, motivation, and management, preferably in development.
- Excellent organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail and follow-up.
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and leadership skills.
- Effective and inspirational communicator, both written and verbal.
- Working knowledge of philanthropic vehicles preferred in order to facilitate sophisticated philanthropic conversions with donors.
- Demonstrable record of impact on fundraising success including campaign planning and operations, direct solicitations, campaign events, grant writing and corporate solicitations
- Demonstrated ability to develop and cultivate trusted relationships.
- Model a personal commitment to the Jewish community and Jewish values; ability to ground relationships with prospective and current donors in Jewish culture and values.
- Knowledge of utilizing CRM/fundraising database systems and maximizing technology in prospect identification and research.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed under pressure in a dynamic environment and comfortable with change and working in undefined situations.
The Director of Development is a senior executive level position and functions under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
A competitive compensation package with attractive benefits is being offered. To learn more about our Jewish community, visit www.JewishLehighValley.org. For more information about the Lehigh Valley, visit www.discoverlehighvalley.com.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Stephanie Smartschan, director of marketing, at email@example.com .
The Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required.