Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: President/CEO
Salary Range: $95,000 - $120,000 plus competitive benefits package
Contact: Kelly Lopes- Director Accounting & Human Resources
The Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island (the Alliance) serves to enrich the quality of life for Jews in Rhode Island, in Israel, and around the world. Today’s Alliance is where the community comes together as one to develop responses to critical issues facing Rhode Island. We do this through philanthropy, education and wellness opportunities, community relations, and by convening agencies, synagogues, and organizations to address issues of common concern. Together, we translate Jewish tradition and values into action. All of our work is guided by our core values:
Tzedakah: upholding the Jewish traditions of righteous giving and justice.
L’dor v’dor: securing a future filled with Jewish tradition and heritage.
Tikkun Olam: repairing the world.
Hineni: standing with others so no one stands alone.
Klal Yisrael: supporting worldwide Judaism and the State of Israel.
Torah: pursuing knowledge and lifelong learning.
Summary of Job Description:
The Chief Development Officer is part of the organization’s senior leadership team and is responsible for all aspects of fundraising and development at the Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island. The Chief Development Officer leads a department responsible for raising funds through the annual campaign, endowment, supplemental campaigns, sponsorships, and other means of raising funds. The ideal candidate possesses strong leadership skills, a record of successful fundraising, including cultivation of major gifts, and a clear understanding how fundraising connects to the larger success of the organization.
Annual Campaign and Supplemental Campaigns
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, and evaluate the Alliance’s annual fundraising campaign, currently totaling $3.1 million.
- Manage a group of volunteers to support fundraising efforts in the annual campaign.
- Develop resource development strategies that respond to changing markets, evolving organizational interests, and emerging fundraising issues.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the local donor environment, and philanthropic interests of key individual donors and prospects.
- Manage a portfolio of 60 donors, and build and maintain relationships with those donors that result in increased participation in the annual campaign and other fundraising efforts.
- Annually assess fundraising results to identify areas of opportunity, growth, risk, and challenge. Develop strategies to take advantage of opportunities and manage risk.
- Work with a committee of volunteers to identify prospective donors to the organization and cultivate relationships with those potential donors that lead to gifts to the organization.
- Work with volunteers to brainstorm, plan, develop, implement, and evaluate supplemental campaigns that address specific community needs.
- Engage volunteers in the planning and development of events that increase fundraising to the organization’s annual campaign and supplemental campaigns.
Endowment and Donor Advised Funds
- Lead the Alliance’s efforts to grow its unrestricted and restricted endowments to ensure the long-term success and viability of the organization.
- Serve as the staff lead for the Jewish Federation Foundation Board.
- Manage the relationship with the Rhode Island Foundation, our primary partner on endowment activities.
- Provide training to volunteers on how to have conversations with community members about creating endowments and the importance of doing so.
- Develop a variety of strategies to increase donor knowledge of leaving endowments at the Alliance. Implement strategies and track progress.
- Set yearly goals for the Development team on the number of endowments created and monitor strategies to achieve those goals and the progress of achievement. Adjust strategies as necessary.
- Ensure high levels of customer service for endowment fund holders and donor advised fund holders at the Alliance, including ensuring that statements are delivered to fund holders in a timely manner and disbursements are made in a timely manner.
- Build relationships with donor advised fund holders to better understand giving interests. Cultivate donor advised fund holders to give gifts to the Alliance for specific purposes.
- Set goals for donor advised fund gifts to the annual campaign each year. Monitor and track progress of those gifts.
Other Fundraising and Development
- Develop and implement strategies to secure corporate sponsorships for events, including but not limited to, the annual Dwares JCC Golf Tournament.
- Research strategies used by other nonprofit organizations and pilot best practice ideas at the Alliance in an effort to boost fundraising.
- Work with other departments to better understand the needs of the organization, and develop fundraising strategies to address those needs.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s senior management team, responsible for strategy and operations of the Alliance.
- Provide feedback to and support for the implementation of the organization’s strategic plan.
- Lead professional development opportunities for staff to increase their knowledge and connection to the Alliance’s fundraising efforts.
- Provide staff support for the Fundraising and Development Committee of the Board as well as for the Board of the Jewish Federation Foundation.
- Lead the Development department, and provide supervision to the Manager of Development, Senior Manager Campaign Operations, Campaign Operations Manager, and Endowment Operations Assistant.
- Ensure staff has adequate training, coaching, support, and resources to achieve individual and organizational goals.
- Demonstrated experience with the Alliance’s core values and a clear commitment to them.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple projects. Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to manage staff, with demonstrated experience managing staff toward completion of goals.
- Ability to analyze data and think strategically about what implications the analysis has on the organization.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, including occasional nights and weekends.
- Demonstrated experience implementing strategic plans and developing operational plans.
- Demonstrated experience building relationships with high-capacity donors and cultivating/securing major gifts over $10,000.
- Previous experience in a senior leadership role preferred.
- Significant skills, knowledge, and demonstrated experience in fundraising or sales, with at least 7-10 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required.
Email cover letter and resumeto: KLopes@jewishallianceri.org
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required.