PRIMARY PURPOSE OF JOB
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for planning, implementing, growing, and evaluating the overall fundraising initiatives for the Jewish Federation of Omaha through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual, corporate, foundation, and other donors and prospects. The CDO develops and implements the strategies necessary to develop donors and contributions. The CDO strategically manages the relationships with relevant Board and Lay Leadership.
The Financial Resource Development Department is the hub of all fundraising activity by our agencies and auxiliary organizations. FRD is responsible for oversight of any future CRM systems and other database programs for the entire organization, as well.
This position supervises: Director of Development, Executive Assistant, Community Development Leader, Director of Special Projects, and others as needed.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in liberal arts or business is required.
- 10-15 years development experience in a non-profit is required. Federation experience is preferred. Having familiarity with the greater Omaha area and the philanthropic community is an advantage
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong, productive relationships with donors, volunteers and constituents.
- Proven ability to supervise, manage, lead, coach and develop a diverse group of professionals.
- Direct experience with management and/or organizational change initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and guide others in the strategic planning process.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining quality of work.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, plan and manage projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills including both verbal and written and strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to manage statistical data in order to assess fundraising effectiveness and devise strategic plans.
- PC literacy with strong competency in all Microsoft Office programs and other fundraising and data base software.
- Ability to travel and work in off-site settings on a regular basis. Ability to work evenings, weekends or irregular hours as necessary to interact with donors and prospects and attend relevant meetings and events.
- Ability to multi-task and handle stress.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and solidify an innovative and coordinated development infrastructure to support maximum short-and long-term fundraising goals with the expectation of meeting the needs of Jewish Omaha.
- Develop an overall strategic plan for an integrated development model that includes but is not limited to the Jewish Federation of Omaha Foundation, grant opportunities from community foundations and national funding grants, in order to support the overall mission of the organization. Involve professional peers and relevant lay leaders in the strategic development process to utilize their expertise and cultivate their support.
- Develop positive relationships with current major donors and provide stewardship to the donor cultivation process. Participate in the cultivation and solicitation of selected major contributors and campaign leadership.
- Responsible for developing and overseeing all campus fundraising campaigns to include Annual, Capital, and any other special campaign.
- Supervise corporate sponsorship activities to significantly expand Federation sources of revenue.
- Assure that the performance of all staff is actively managed and professional development and coaching opportunities are identified and implemented.
- Manage the overall relationship with relevant Boards and Committees, involving staff and lay leaders as appropriate.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team and provide consultation to the President and CEO on all philanthropy related issues.
- In conjunction with the Campaign Director and Administrative Assistant:
a. Ensure that donor information is effectively and efficiently maintained and prospect cultivation activity is appropriately tracked.
b. Ensure that reporting systems are complete, efficient, accurate and monitored for quality control.
c. Ensure that appropriate systems are in place to provide exceptional customer service to all donors and prospects.
- In conjunction with Lay Campaign Cabinet Leadership, work with the marketing team to develop campaign materials and documentation to supplement campaign strategies and tactics.
- Oversee the grant process for entire organization and contributed income generated through non-traditional benefactors. The FRD department continually seeks alternative sources of revenue.
- Oversees donor appreciation strategies and facilitates a culture of donor engagement.
- Dynamic communication skills
- Proven approach to donor stewardship
- Knowledge of the Jewish Federation system, both locally and internationally
- Able to articulate understanding of current Jewish topics pertaining to the United States and throughout the world, particularly Israel
- Maintain political neutrality during donor interactions
- Cognizant of community needs and translate those needs into donor opportunities
- Work cooperatively with donors, supervisors, staff, and volunteers
- Strict adherence to donor confidentiality
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Sit, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, perform fine and gross movements with the hands/fingers and move about intermittently throughout the workday
- Occasional overnight travel primarily to attend educational conferences
- Work in well-lighted and ventilated office area(s), as well as throughout the facility
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position will be working in well-lighted and ventilated office areas, as well as throughout the facility. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Every effort has been made to make this job description as complete as possible. It in no way states or implies that these are the only duties required. Other duties apply that are assigned.
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 10+ years of experience.