The Assistant Director for Israel Engagement & Advocacy will largely focus on a key element of one of the BJF’s strategic goals of programming around Israel both through community, culture and advocacy. The Assistant Director for Israel Engagement & Advocacy will lead all Israel programming including leading and coordinating and executing programming related to Israel, BJF’s Shinshinim program, mission travel and Sister City P2G, and work in tandem with the Director of the Jewish Community Relations Council to promote Jewish education and advocacy as it relates to Israel. The right candidate should have some knowledge of Middle Eastern affairs and matters affecting Israel – including a desire to learn more – with a deep attachment to Jewish life in general and Israel in particular.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Promote strong support for Israel and the Jewish people at home and throughout the world through social media, newsletters as well as programming.
- Execute P2G efforts as well as mission programs and Shinshinim programs.
- Integrate BJF’s efforts with other Israel support and advocacy groups in the region, including leading and coordinating on Israel- and Jewish-related matters and programming in conjunction with the Director of the Jewish Community Relations Council.
- Develop and implement engaging and innovative Israel Advocacy Programs and Strategy.
- Organize community education and advocacy programs on current Israel and Jewish events.
- Such other duties or tasks to assist the organization as the supervisor may deem necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Experience developing and coordinating a wide array of community programming.
- Work and academic experience needs to reflect similar duties as stated above.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Understanding of Jewish agenda and relevant experience
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Familiarity with using social media as an engagement tool
- Travel when necessary. Must have personal transportation available
- Some evening/Sunday hours required, per events and meetings.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary Range: $45,000 - $50,000 plus benefits
Reports to: The Birmingham Jewish Federation’s Senior Director of Engagement and works in partnership with the Director of the Jewish Community Relations Council.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to FlorinaN@bjf.org