Qualifications: 10+ years of experience.
DEPARTMENT: Finance & Administration
REPORTS TO: Controller/Managing Director, Budget
The Jewish Federations of North America (“JFNA”) represents 146 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise more than $ 3 billion annually for social welfare, social services, and educational needs. The Federation movement, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, protects and enhances the well-being of Jews worldwide through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah, (charity and social justice), chesed (caring and compassion), and Torah (Jewish learning). JFNA itself has over $200 million in revenue annually.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for supporting the Controller/Managing Director of Budget on all finance and accounting operations of United Israel Appeal (UIA) and JFNA. This includes, but is not limited to, the annual budget, internal and external audits, investment platform(s), accounting, and payroll administration. The Assistant Controller takes a proactive leadership role in financial analysis, budget management, and financial reporting. This position requires a strong knowledge of budgeting and finance, as well as the ability to supervise staff and projects, communicate effectively, and proactively advance initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in preparation of IRS Form 990 (UIA & JFNA), FBAR, and financial statements (Stand alone and consolidated).
• Reviews bank reconciliations (17) for accuracy.
• Manages general ledger (approximately 170 balance sheet accounts).
• Reviews endowment, Crat, Crut, and CGA and pension schedules.
• Reviews checks to vendors under certain thresholds.
• Reviews fixed assets, prepaid insurance, and audit schedules.
• Serves as the plan administrator of 403B and 457B plans.
• Files the Limited Liability Partnership Return.
• Tracks securities and stocks at JFNA. Serves as the main contact person for donors who contribute securities or bonds. Corresponds with and provides instruction to JFNA’s broker to sell stocks. Provides confirmation to donors upon completion.
• Serves as secure banking administrator.
• Prepares the monthly journal entry for Israel office expenses and receivables.
• Prepares schedules of monthly billings to sub-tenants.
• Reviews JFNA pension Trial Balance for accuracy.
• Maintains deferred and accrued revenue and expense schedules.
• Manages recurring journal entries.
• Reviews the Israel office monthly general ledger and posts it to the NY accounting system.
• Maintains Israel office funds transfer account.
• Reviews UIA monthly cash flow and journal entries.
• Reviews UIA audit work papers.
• Supervises accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general accounting departments.
• Other duties as required.
• NY C.P.A. license is required.
• 10+ years of experience in accounting management in the nonprofit sector.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience preparing IRS Form 990.
• Supervisory experience.
• Significant experience preparing and consolidating financial statements and managing all aspects of the general ledger.
• Demonstrated knowledge in establishing and maintaining internal controls.
• Ability to provide monthly, quarterly, and year-end analyses.
• Strong knowledge and sufficient experience in coordinating the budget process.
• Ability to conduct research to address accounting issues for compliance using GAAP.
• Strong analytical skills and experience with reporting cost variances.
• Experience with serving as a liaison to external auditors.