DEPARTMENT: Finance & Administration
REPORTS TO: Director, Finance
The Jewish Federations of North America (“JFNA”) represents 146 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise more than $ 3 billion annually for social welfare, social services, and educational needs. The Federation movement, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, protects and enhances the well-being of Jews worldwide through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah, (charity and social justice), chesed ( caring and compassion), and Torah (Jewish learning). Each federation operates as an independent nonprofit and range in size from single person shops to 400 person nonprofits.
Collections and Disbursements is a unit of the Finance and Administration Department primarily responsible for accurate billing, collection and recording of all federation commitments and receipts for our numerous campaigns, projects, and sponsorship programs.
It is also responsible for distributing these funds to all of JFNA’s beneficiary agencies in support of our overseas programs and to maintain the operations of various domestic Jewish agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Cash Processing, Balancing, and Reporting
- Retrieve daily bank balances for all accounts maintained with different banks.
- Prepare daily reconciliation of bank/book balances for the contribution account.
- Provide appropriate transaction codes and batch checks/wires received in payment of various campaign allocation commitments, Fair Share, Birthright, and other assessments.
- Wire funds to beneficiary agencies representing the distribution of allocations and funds received for special projects. Communicate with agencies regarding these distributions.
- Prepare daily and monthly monitoring reports on receipts and disbursements.
- Process month-end and year-end closing of books.
Administer Federations’ Assessments Billings, Payments, and Balances
- Record and analyze federation commitments to Fair Share, Birthright.
- Prepare and recommend a monthly distribution to agencies using specific formula per agency.
- Process assessment billing in July of each year for federations:
- Fair share – Federations’ share of the JFNA budget
- Reconcile with Federations to ensure accurate balances reflected in monitoring reports.
Credit Card Donations
- Process credit card donations from Network donors.
- Prepare daily, monthly, and annual credit card donations reports.
- Manage secure files related to these donations.
- Record allocation commitments from letters and emails received from Large, Intermediate, and Large-Intermediate federations as analyzed by the supervisor.
- Analyze and record allocation commitments from letters and emails received from specifically assigned Small Federations.
- Update payment plan information on the spreadsheet maintained for this purpose.
Audit and Reconciliation
- Reply to confirmation letters from external auditors of various beneficiary agencies and federations:
- Submit back-up information on balanced accounts
- Reconcile differences in accounting records
- Reconcile with federations on items affecting the monthly Statement of Balances for core allocation, fair share, and other assessments.
- Maintain the federations’ monthly Statement of Balances application for recipients and addresses.
- Update the system with new campaign years and codes whenever necessary for each community.
Back up Support
- Provide back up support for other department colleagues as needed.
- Provide general customer service for the Collections and Disbursement Section.
- Associate degree in Accounting.
- At least 2 years of accounting experience preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- Excellent communication skills and very strong attention to detail.
- Experience with fund accounting software such as Access and MIPS or similar fund accounting product.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to take initiative and respond flexibly to changing demands.
Qualifications: Associate's Degree.